Not so long ago, I was working on a campaign that used the Internet to seek out entrepreneurial talent. A part of the project, was a fun segment by a teammate entitled ‘Jugaad on the Street’ that showcased street entrepreneurs from across India. The other night at Connaught Place, I was reminded of this project. I was reminded of the little twist street entrepreneurs give ordinary ventures, and turn successful.
ThePaan store at Connaught Place is a shining example of this. Bustling with people late into the night, the store serves paansof all kinds. There’s Kulfi paan, Chocolate paan, Goondi paan and even Chuski paan. Dished out rapidly, one after another, to all kinds of people. Surrounding the store are workers, collegians, young couples and old families. The smiling man at the store busies himself readying paan, stopping not even to take a phone call. That's in all likelihood from another eager customer.
Of course, you must try the Chuski paan. He hurriedly puts in the basic ingredients that go into a sweet paan. Then, he brings out a slab of ice, crushing it into little crunchy pieces and stuffs it into the paan. Before you can change your mind, he pushes the paan into your mouth…the ice melting just a little after you are jumping from the sudden tinge of cold. It's fascinating to watch new faces delight from the experience, over and over again.
The Chocolate paan is chocolate-y just right, and the Goondipaan is bit-sized and distinctly flavoured. At the cash counter, an old man with a big moustache sits. I wonder who came up with the innovative paan varieties. Could it be the somber old man, or the dynamic young fellow? I am not sure, I realize much later. Even as the cold now lingers in the air, and jugaad finds a way at the tollbooth.
[30X30 is a series of 30 unrelated posts in 30 days by Gayatri Makhijani and Anuj Gosalia. One post everyday, for the next 30 days. Follow the string here ]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment