My house is abuzz with career conversation. My sister is awaiting her 12th grade results, and spending her time thinking about what career path to choose. The Indian Education system being the way it is, requires you take the decision at the young age of seventeen. Of course, there won't be any harm if you make the decision later. But then it may also mean you haven't best utilized your years of education. My sister therefore worries and stresses, analyzes and over analyzes, hoping to make the right decision.
And, so she frets over whether to take up Law, or Commerce, or Economics, or Psychology, because the decision must be made. We try to help her, but we know only so much of her mind. At this stage, we are as clueless as her. What will she enjoy studying? What will she excel at? What does she have the aptitude for? These are some of the questions we cannot exactly assess answers to at this stage.
To make an informed decision, we talk to people. I quickly realize we live in a generation of people, who often make the right decisions, for the wrong reasons. Students choose educational courses for eventual salaries,for the course popularity and for future acceptance into a good university. Of course, financial security is an important factor. But, somewhere, I believe we're all losing the plot.
My father looks back at his time, and marvels at how things have changed. He believes, sadly so, we no longer have the time, or the luxury to make a wrong choice. This only furthers the stress whilst making a decision. Which is why, perhaps, I'd like to share what I've come to learn.
That, decisions are difficult. Decisions, any kind of decisions, are never easy. And, the truth is no amount of advice, and knowledge, and goodwill will help you take the final plunge. Because, in the end it has to come from you. And, how does it come from you? I believe at the final straw, when you have analyzed the pros and cons, one factor distinguishes the 'Yes' from a 'No.' And, that's passion.
Passion, that may now exist only as a little thread running through your life. But, passion that will drive you to take that plunge, and more importantly make the most of that plunge. I think I will tell my sister today, to leave everything aside, and find that thread. Because, it is there, even if she does not yet know. We've all been made of it. I've come to realize that, on this magnificent Monday.
P.s. Tell me what you think, I'd like to know. More Monday Musings here ]
Monday, June 01, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I feel that we have lost the plot somewhere while trying to become a economic superpower. salary drives all decisions and most of us end up having no identity apart from our jobs. Not to mention the severe lack of people educated in the liberal arts or even basic sciences for that matter.
Post a Comment