At half-past five on Sunday, I walk past a familiar street in Churchgate, where little birds and young-pecking couples indulge. Along the side are some of the city's finest colleges, parked cars, and plush buildings that reek of Mumbai's legacy. I walk past loafers around swanky cars and I reach the cold, welcome breeze of the sea.
Young couples, and big families and old aunts line up on the promenade to watch the setting sun, the collapsing waves; to take in the glorious wind. I'm tempted to join them, but I do not. I accompany some friends to the Tea Centre instead, something I've been wanting to do for a long, long time.
Resplendent with white walls and classic wood work, the Tea Centre holds up quirky posters on it's otherwise bare walls. We savour the many delightful varieties of tea it offers. Flavoured Iced tea, Kashmiri Kahwa, Indian summer tea, Green tea and other exotic blends.
We're in tea heaven, we quickly discover. And, place an order for a light, non-sugary Indian Summer Tea that's as delightful as the sweetened Cherry flavoured Ice Tea. But, they save the most charming for the last, is what we also discover. A sugary hot concoction of apple bits, tea leaves, honey and brown sugar. We are in tea heaven, indeed. And, even more so, when we tuck into scones. Hardened, crusty bread with a dollop of cream and jam, that took us back to days at Mallory Towers.
Our little tea-party ended, and soon we were on the long road to Colaba Causeway. We straddled past heritage buildings, clean streets and a handful of people until we reached a flurry of shoppers and sellers and bright lights at the Causeway market. An hour of window-shopping and walking about later...we were, all of us, ready to brace an all new Monday and the week it brings.
[More Monday Musings here ]
Monday, June 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment