Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Musings - 16

I wonder if you have ever been to the CCI? I wonder if you have played with its wet, glowing grass...if you have sat upon its cane chairs, if you have hung around its marble promenade watching the rain come down? Or, have you perhaps snuck up to the bar for a drink, or to the coffee shop for a lala puri..or have you better still, watched a game of cricket...whilst having a little conversation with the cricketers? I know I have, and I know I have been lucky.

The Cricket Club of India Mumbai, is a joyous celebration of a old world charm, of cricket, and of an all new world brimming with elegance, sophistication and joy. I was there today too, and I was sitting there watching the water ripple in the swimming pool, I was thinking of legacies. I was thinking of the things we have in our lives, not because of us, but because of our parents, and our families. And, I was thinking of how lucky we are to have them.

Of little family heirlooms like a piece of classic antique jewellery. Like a lovely house by the sea, in a village so far away. Like a home in another country. Like a recipe for a divine biryani, or perhaps charming chocolate chip cookies. Better still, a fantasy tale, or a real story, or a folk tale...only for you, and the family you left behind.

I don't know, do you have one of those? Do you have an artistic chess piece, or do you have a library of books so old, and famed their pages are wearing thin...but their stories remain? And, do you have a lovely little tale of your grandparents who danced, or of your aunt who ran away with the wondeful man who stood her through time? Do you have a story that celebrates where you're from?

I'm thinking that we must celebrate, this Monday. Celebrate our little exclusivities, and privileges that come from the generation before us. We should give them more than just a moment of our time. For these are the things that have unknowingly shaped so much of us. And, these are the things we should be thankful for.

At least I am this Monday...for the things that we are born into, the joys we are lucky to have. The joys that take little, and come by easily. Legacies...

[More Monday Musings here ]

1 comment:

Roy said...

Though me and my dad usually don't see eye to eye, love of books I guess is his legacy. Any book he recommends, I'm sure to read.