Off Mahim station, there's a little lane that runs along the opposite side of the Mumbai Wall Project site. A swirl of dust,kirana stores and hutments welcome you as you step in; and if you are me, welcome you everyday. An everyday that no longer is. On a Monday as free and mellow as this, I am thinking of that lane by Mahim station, of its warm welcome, of an office that resides in it.
I am thinking of the steps on which we shared many a story, and spilled many a secret...I am thinking of planks of cement where we found many a 'creative idea.' Over cups of hot, sugary tea in plastic cups, not glass ones. Of the smell that greeted us at the chai-wala- a mix of fresh tea, Mumbai sweat and a faulty bathroom pipe in the building above.
I am thinking the bhel-wala and the spicy concoction he would toss up to soothe our burning hearts. And, the sandwich store that served the cheapest, most wholesome salad sandwiches I've ever had at a mere Rs. 7/-. I am thinking of the quaint little bakery that found its place amidst industrial shops. Heavenly deserts, lunch saviours and happiness chocolates. And the little snack corner that shut down; I am saddened by this thought. A quiet old man with many stories started the store selling chicken ham and mayonnaise sandwiches, and then it shut down.
I am thinking of him, and the man who fried vadas serving piping hot breakfast to hungry Mumbai workers every morning. I am thinking of the grand white gate, we would swing a step on...to an office without windows. That was brimming with love, with work, with happiness, with anger, with passion, with success and the occasional failure. Bursting of stories, bursting with secrets; welcoming people and bidding them Goodbye.
I am thinking of the people who make our working life a little easier, a little more comfortable. I am thinking of nights spent searching for answers, and solutions in the moonlight. I am thinking of taking-off to places not so far away, and letting ourselves go. I am thinking of the rare luncheon, evening walks and desert outings. I am thinking of the friends, that came and went. And, I am thinking of the ones that stayed. And, the ones that will.
I am thinking of mornings so fatigued, and nights so weary. I am thinking of that excitement of an encouraging E-mail. Of the thrill of going 'Live.' Of the people who teach, the people who whisper and the people who stay so quiet, so still. I am thinking of me, who I was when I stepped into its walls. And, I'm thinking of me as I transformed amidst its walls. Of the moments the memories, the people their stories, the lessons the learning. I am thinking of them all this Monday, and I am sayin' a little prayer...
A little Thank-you.
[More Monday Musings here ]
Monday, August 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I was thinking of the sutta-walah at kurla station who still waves at me even though I have not bought a cigarette from him in over a year....
Post a Comment