Have you been to the quaint little Bagel Shop off Carter Road in Bandra, Mumbai? It’s lovely, bright with comfy low lying chairs, and people sprawled about. Some clack away on their laptop, some are embroiled in a conversation, and others are curled up with a book. The bagels are quite delightful, and I particularly like the coffee that can keep you up all night..and the banana walnut muffins that are sweetened just right.
I enjoy going there. It momentarily stalls time, allows life to take a slower place. Ephemerally, you almost believe life is about just now. Not about the time to come, and not about time gone by. Not like the bookseller by the signal chasing cars to sell books. Not like the rickshaw driver by the street, chasing a passenger who has swindled him off money. And, not like the man from the flat downstairs chasing a girl too good for him.
It makes me think of what I am chasing. What we are all chasing. So many people I know are chasing such rich lives. Spiritually, culturally and socially fulfilling...meaningful, and productive. They make me envious, in a good way. They make me anxious, in a good way. They push me to chase.
And, chase not after money, and powerful, and all other things tangible. But, passions long forgotten, dreams dearly held, and little madness-es we were once too scared to discover. Like a sixty year old aunt of mine has just joined dancing lessons. And, another has started working.
It takes a lot of courage, I imagine, to take such a step. But, if they can, I know I can. It’s about a little step, isn’t it. And, I’ve been told this Monday, that if I do, or you do..or both of us do..victory is in store.
My chase has only just begun.
[More Monday Musings here ]
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
ah! your musings are beautiful as always!
Post a Comment