Monday, June 08, 2009

Monday Musings -8

On one charming summer holiday, back in the days when we had summer holidays, my father said to me, "Don't go anywhere without your running shoes." Because, there I was on a glorious cruise boat waiting in line to use the treadmill whilst watching the lovely spread of sun and sea about me, without my running shoes.

From then on, I've always followed his advice. Whether it's been a shopping-and-Thai food oriented trip to maddening Bangkok, a short vacation to the hills of Matheran, a work oriented trip to insipid Chennai, I've always carried my running shoes.

And, so I had them with me on my one day trip to Pune. One day of too many things to do, who would've thought I'd need my running shoes? Oh, of course I did!

We reached Pune at half-past 4, settling into our large room at the Pune Club, overlooking green, green grass. And, by 5'o clock I was in my well-worn running shoes, ready to walk about and explore this magnificent property. A British-style lounge with cane chairs and low-lying tables. A quiet restaurant with courteous waiters and well-cooked food. A large bar that promised Morrison and the Beatles. And, a notice board that advertised Scrabble camps and squash tournaments and cricket coaching.

By all the flurry of the good life, lay a long, winding running track. Tucked away beyond the sprawling lawns, the plastic chairs, and food stalls. I took to my feet, and ran. It had been maddeningly long. Round and around I ran, walking only to catch my breath.

Discovering along the way, quiet minds on benches, shuffling feet on a basketball court, aching limbs at an exercise centre, the young and snazzy at a small gymnasium. Little children outside changing rooms. Sign boards and exercise charts at every nook, and every corner. An even brown path, the wind in my hear, and a dozen other running feet. Discovering so much, and so little of this beautiful, beautiful world.

Won't you take your running shoes and set off somewhere this Monday?

[More Monday Musings here ]

2 comments:

Quaint Murmur said...

I do believe I must try this running idea. Knowing me, I might give up and walk though. But it's certainly worth a try.

Is this shesturningblue's new avatar then? I would like to add you to my bloggers list, which is why I ask.

Dhrubo said...

Too much. I might walk, though.