Monday, September 07, 2009

Monday Musings -20

The Sunday before yesterday, a group of us made our way to Kihim near Alibaug, not too far away from the city of Mumbai. Amidst a picturesque house, sprawling sand and an endless sea we learned the art of speaking, we learned to challenge our writing. And, we listened intently to poetry, to prose, to the promise of the sea, and the sun as it melted into night. To the sound of mosquitoes, the play-swing swirling in mid-air, and sand as it rustled beneath weary feet.

As we took the narrow road back home, I contemplated talking versus listening. And, I decided to listen. I listened to the wind whispering through the trees. I listened as it transformed into blaring city horns, into music pouring out of rickety speakers, into rain as it splattered to the ground, meeting its fate.

I listened as I took the winding road home from the station. I listened to the story of the rickshawwalla , who wanted to talk. I discovered his tale of family woes. I learned of his cyber cafe business that shut down. I learned of why he took to the rickshaw. Because, he wasted away his college years, gambling and drinking.

And, I listened as my house-help lamented her family affairs. Little tales of how her scoundrel husband drinks beer, not alcohol. Loves his mother, not her, his wife.

And, on Saturday, I listened to the sound of an older India, of an older world at the Khadi Graham Udyog at Fountain, Mumbai. An archaic, immense store that sold little Indian treasures at prices from ten years ago. Khadi kurtas, and gemstone earrings, and herbal beauty secrets, and sandalwood art-pieces.

All sold through a rustic cash-register with a sound, that resounds. And, all packaged in handmade bags, and billed on recycled paper that glaze against purple bags, and mirror-work bags, and whatever have you bags.

This Monday too, I can hear the sound. I can hear the sound of paper against cloth, of waves against walls, of hearts against minds, and as Dylan would say of answers in the wind. And, this Monday too, I am learning to listen...

[More Monday Musings here ]

1 comment:

Roy said...

please don't restrict yourself to your monday musings...you should write one for each day of the week