On a bright Sunday afternoon, running down a bustling Mumbai bylane is a scrawny, 22-year-old girl. Her face masked with fury, she is struggling to keep pace with a moving white car. I watch her till she catches up with the white car...hurling abuses, banging the car window, running after the car. And, then I turn into the lane to my house...leaving behind a trail of bewildered onlookers.
My mind is in many places. And, my heart breaks for this young girl. Who was the driver? And, what brought her to such anger? How is it that we can let ourselves go, so easily?
And, how is it that in some cases, it takes so much to let ourselves go? Let me tell you about the Caferati Mumbai Chapter's Readmeet on Saturday. Only thirteen of us turned up. It was my first time, and seeing how incredible this session is for writers and non-writers alike... I wish there had been more of us.
The Readmeet began with a round of introductions. Then, each of us read out a piece...and everybody took their turns to comment on our work- good, bad and ugly. The evening wound up with a generous serving of creamy chocolate cake and warm croissants. All this in a lovely garden...the sound of a waterfall in the background.
Considering the distance, I almost didn't go for the Readmeet. But, on my way back I began to think of how often we let these excuses get the better of us. Perhaps, it is time we start letting ourselves go...in the right direction. At the Readmeet too, I was afraid to read out my own poetry. But, I did. And, the thing I came back home with was just how marvelous it had been to shed my inhibitions.
I knew then, I wanted to share this feeling with the world. In this world that busies, buries and excuses itself with the mundane...it takes so little to let go. To break free!
[More Monday Musings here ]
Monday, May 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I thought you moved to xanga?
Post a Comment