Friday, August 05, 2011

Finding your own spirituality

Spent a recent Saturday at a meditation camp, nestled deep within Gurgaon’s farmland- a welcome respite from menacing concrete. Flies buzzed, green grass stilled and restless souls gathered around to ‘close their eyes. Focus on their breath. And discuss their sentiment.’

I confess, I found it to be a tragic waste of time. Most of us were restless within a few minutes, some pretended otherwise. Everybody knew the politically correct thing to say, answers were rehearsed as if from a Paulo Coelho paperback. The man in the middle led the session, that took much too long, to give very little.

Admittedly, I’m a bit cynical. I find modern-day spirituality to be a cult-centered, money making racket. Give the free meditation session; rake in the profits on a weeklong camp. Or, sell Christianity, hope to broken hearts, love to the unloved, and a cultured life to the downtrodden, fear to the famous. Make some money while you’re at it.

I’ve been bitten, and I’m not afraid to reveal, I succumbed to spirituality’s deceiving charm. I’m not against being a balance, sensitive, even spiritual person.

Be that person.

But away from the forms of the world that corrupt it. The religions and cults that misguide those who merely want to be better people.

Be that better person.

But, find your own spirituality.

Mediate, in the true sense of the word. Find something that makes you focus on the task at hand. Swimming, yoga, a run, a game of tennis. Something that allows you to release energy.

Pray, every now and then, in thanks. To anyone, no one at all. Just silent words whispered.

Calm yourself, by finding something that deeply moves you, books, literature, art, travel.

Find a purpose, not set out by a Lord, or a Veda, but by you. Make your life more than going to a temple, or a camp... make it a career, or a life in self-service, or a family.

And, believe. Believe that it’s okay to rely on you. Rely on a man above and not be certain who he is. Rely on a dream, even if it fails. Rely on strength from within and outside.

You can be good. All alone.

No comments: