Monday, February 08, 2010

Monday Musings -33

Yesterday, I was at the 19th Delhi World Book Fair, held at Pragati Maidan. I spent the afternoon browsing books spread over acres of land, and stalls and shelves. There were books bursting out of make-shift stalls at a twenty-five percent discount. There were books from around the world. Israel and India and France and Pakistan. There were books in all languages. And, there were books on all subjects- Fiction, and Science, and Technology and Education, and Spirituality and Management. I confess: I was salivating.

And, reveling in the endless space this city has. What a glorious city to walk in – Delhi. You can go as far as your feet take you, and still be far away. There are wide roads, and big houses, and huge open spaces set against lines and lines of bit-sized food stalls.

Or, in some instances, the neighborhood hole-in-the-wall, a big-sized Tibetan restaurant. We tuck into a generous helping of fried rice and chicken with broccoli. Then, we set off to discovery this city again.

And, what a delight it is, I think, this Monday. What a delight to discover Delhi, just as I am reading William Dalrymple's City of Djinns. I stumbled upon this book, by chance - in my rusty old garage- the book documents the life and lanes of the city of Delhi.

Interesting to note, isn't it. That if you allow it, books will come by at the right place, and right time in your life. And, if you allow them, friends will come by at the right time, and the right place in your life...

No amount of chai, downed whole, over sunsets and moonshine, can allow that to sink in. Allow the incredible journey that is life to sink in. Occurrences and places and people strung together. Almost surreal. Almost strange. Life, it could only be orchestrated.

[More Monday Musings here ]

2 comments:

jairaj said...

It's a nice time to be in the city. :)

Roy said...

in retrospect all seems so connected. In real time its all so very random.