I wonder if some of us have become over-sensitised to the vagaries of modern India, that we so reluctantly accept what really makes our nation. I wonder if some of us are so obsessed with the here and now; I wonder if some of us are so afraid to revel in what happened before the here and now.
I wonder if last night...some of us even saw the bright lights dancing in the night sky. I wonder if they saw the vibrant reds, the shining eyes holed out of the coal black...I wonder if they really listened to the words?
I wonder why some of us so easily trade Ajeeb Dastaan, Yeh Zindagi Kya Cheez Hai and Mast Kalandar for the nasal twang and the likes. I wonder why we run away from the unfamiliar. I wonder why some of us never swap the usual coffee shop routine for the unknown. I wonder why we know so little of where we come from and so hurriedly lap up 'the cool.'
Last night, at a ghazal evening, I wonder how many noticed the singers smiled as they sang. And then, in turn, how many swayed..sang...and smiled? Even as cellphones jangled, crackers turned noisy, conversation twittered and the drunk stumbled in for the last number. Ah, the vagaries of modern India...how hard IS it to let go?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
amen!
letting go is something which we never will be able to...think bout it, how do u feel when u forget ur cellphone at home or your tv breaks down or your internet conks...we're not ony attached we're freakin stapled to the madness that is todays life..i donno if it actually connected but when have i ever been someone who made sense
We are risk-averse. And greatly so. Indians just dont believe in taking risks, and everything our parents teach us is geared towards taking less chances in life. Mera beta injiniyur banega, or Mera beta doctor banega, is the badge every Indian parent wears proudly on his/her shoulder. And questioning the norm is just plain wrong.
Post a Comment